Tankless water heaters can be a touchy subject for many homeowners, contractors and plumbers due to the fact that most homeowners and people in general are looking for ways to be more energy efficient and save on their electric bills.
Water heating in general is an expensive energy cost in the home, therefore it makes sense to consider energy saving alternatives.
Let’s go through some of the pros and cons of having a tankless water heater.
Pros of having a Tankless Water Heater
- Tankless water heaters only operate when there is a demand for hot water. This can reduce energy costs up to 35% per year. this makes these tankless units extremely energy efficient.
- When the unit itself is sized properly it delivers constant hot water at preset temperature levels. This could count as a much 6 to 12 litres of water per minute, which would allow for the hot water supply to not run out.
- Due to the compact size of these heaters they can be placed anywhere in the home and have a 20 year life expectancy.
- There is a great safety factor as well due to the fact the unit only operates when hot or warm water is required. Other conventional units must be on constantly which requires more energy use and chance of fire hazards to happen. Having a tankless unit is the safer and smarter choice.
- Most tankless water heaters also have modern features like monitoring systems which show details such as water pressure and water flow. Also incase of a system failure the unit would turn off its heater.
Cons of having a Tankless Water Heater
- The greatest con of having a tankless water heater is the initial upfront cost. A unit can cost a homeowner twice as much as a conventional storage tank.
- Added costs such as additional piping which is necessary with these units can add the price up. Also good ventilation can be costly however a good plumber-installer can help bring down costs.
- In areas where hard water is a problem a water softener will be required, but they can be rented monthly which can reduce costs as opposed to purchasing a water softener unit.
As we compare the pros and cons of these units there are far more beneficial aspects as opposed to the cons. Take your time and do your research it will greatly benefit your decision in the end, call us at Koch-Air and one of our home advisors will help you understand your home needs.